July 1, 2012

Miss Emily

This past year I got to be Miss Emily and pick up teaching dance to little kids again. There is an amazing new dance studio in Bountiful called Creative Arts and I was so flattered when they asked me to teach Jazz there. I didn't want to take on too much so decided to teach just one class. In my class was my niece Olivia so it was so much fun. She got to see the mean side of her sweet Auntie but luckily didn't hold it against me once we weren't in class. I am not going to lie their were times during the year where I would get frustrated and wonder if it was worth my time, but by the end of the year I was head of heels in love with these little girls. They won a special place in my heart and did an amazing job in their concert. I was one very very proud teacher!!!
The theme for the concert was inspiration so trying to keep it age and level appropriate I chose to do a dance about Bethany Hamilton, the surfer who had her arm bit off by a shark and despite all, with her faith and determintaion succeeded and came back from a devastating injury. The girls loved it and were so cute. I found this quote by Bethany for the concert and thought it summed up exactly what I was trying to get across.


"Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness,heart, talent, guts. That's what little girls are made of; the heck with sugar and spice.”
Bethany Hamilton

 Some of my girlies dress rehearsal night!

 Just before show time!
Last day of class party time

I decided to take the summer off from teaching dance and already miss these cute girls. I am looking forward to taking on more classes next year and doing more advanced levels as well as company classes.


0 comments: