April 17, 2011

Policeman's Half 2011

2 Years ago I ran the Policeman's Half  with Jacqui where I was 4 weeks pregnant and set my PR at 1:50. This year I ran the Policman's Half with Jacqui and may have set my Personal Worst 2:02, ha ha. Weather was not on our side this year and we knew it was going to be a slow one so just decided to have fun with it and we actually did! I woke up to more and more snow and was seriously regretting not dropping out. But in the end it was ok. The route was absolutely horrible, their were parts where we actually got some great speed and were averaging 8 minute miles but then you would hit patches of ice, strangers would literally catch you when you were going to go down. Then you hit the back side of the resavoir where there was packed snow that felt like running in sand. Then you hit the worst, the slush....Seriously the last 2 miles was a gradual incline in a single file line in mushy slippery slush. You looked up ahead and everyone looked like they wanted to die and just be done with the slush. When we crossed the finish line we were not cardiovascularly tired at all, but our legs were absolutely torched after fighting all that snow and slush. In the end it was a great adventure and I am glad I did it, but honestly Calgary I can't take this anymore, I need some sunshine!
I am regretting not running with my phone so I could take pictures of the conditions along the way because you would not believe it but I didn't so here are some pics from before and after the race!

 This is what I woke up to!
 All ready to go!

 Jacqui and I post finish line, very wet and very tired legs!
 My favorite cheerleader

Bad lighting, we look ghostly white and very wet...However I had to include a picture of George, he is a Heavens member and the most hilarious man ever. In all my classes he comes to he hoots and hollars the whole time and when you run with him he will talk your ear off. He is hilarious!

4 comments:

glen, paige, & baby preston said...

You are my hero!!! One day I aspire to run a half... but I have yet to get any motivation!! Isn't that terrible? Maybe sometime after baby number 2. You are amazing! Congrats on your accomplishment.... and to think you even ran it in the freezing cold!!

Unknown said...

you amaze me. period.

Shani said...

All your dreading and look at all those smiles! You always talk about how great a race was when you're done. Good for you, Em, I'm sure it was hard to get into, but you're so committed! An inspiration to us all :)

Eden Lang said...

nice work em! I thought of you as we woke up to even more fresh snow that morning. amen to amy's comment!