***Disclaimer*** This is a very personal topic and everyone has their own opinion on it. I am writing this post becasue this is my journal and I have really learned something about myself as a mother in the last couple months and want to document it.
I love my job! I get to do something I am passionate about and love. And then on top of that I get to share it with other people. I feel blessed and lucky. After Blakely was born I was able to go back teaching quite soon and it worked for me to do so. It was my little time away, time for me. Becasue I had never worked in the fitness industry full time I didn't know what I was getting myself in to. And as my career took off my schedule got more and more full to the point where I was teaching over 12 classes a week. While that seems like not that many hours, with the prep work and the toll it took on my body it was a lot. Because it all came on so fast and I am not good at saying no I took on a lot. Before we moved from Calgary to Utah I was teaching a ton. Because I loved it so much I didn't realize how beat down I was getting and how this was affecting me as a mom. When we moved to Utah I decided to take the summer off and that is when I realized how much of a toll it really was taking on me. I had a huge wake up call that I was both physically and mentally exhausted and therefore I was not being the best mom I was capable of being. I suddenly had the energy and patience to deal with my very high maintenance child. I was more up for going out and about and taking her to do fun things and most of all I loved the quality and quantity time we were having. I am not saying that I didn't want to work anymore but I realized that I (Emily, I am not saying this about anyone else) had a limit and I needed to be careful not to push that limit. I have returned to teaching again and have found a balance. Once again things have taken off for me and my career and opportunities keep falling in my lap, but this time I have been able to say no and to only take on what I know is best for me and my family.
I am now teaching Zumba 3-4 times a week at a great gym called Skills Fitness and also am back to teaching dance to little kids. I am teaching a Jazz class to 6-7 year olds at an amazing facility called Creative Arts Academy. With this schedule I can pursue my career yet have time for my family and also pursue other passions I have such as running.
I look up to those mothers out there that have to do it all. I am lucky I get to scale back when I feel like it is too much. I honestly don't know how they do it and will always admire that dedication.
These photos are from a huge Zumba Event I team taught at the University of Utah. We had over 200 people and it was so much fun!!!
Brittany and I (team teachers)
Our back up dancers
Some of the crowd after
In action
Strike a pose!!!








2 comments:
Emily, you are such an amazing mom:) thanks for sharing your thoughts on the topic. It is so hard to find a balance with work and mothering! especially when its something you are passionate about! I know, and I totally get where you are coming from. I'm so happy you have found a balance you are comfortable with.
sending all my love,
eden.
p.s. I sooooo wish I was there to take you classes!!!! you are amazing at what you do.
I totally wish I could do your classes, you are so awesome, and I wish you could teach Sadie dance what a dream. I find it refreshing to hear how moms do it all, we all know its not easy. I am glad you found what works for you and figured it out now. love ya.
Post a Comment